Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Identifying Older Dolls

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cassandra1945's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello! I have a question about identifying older AG dolls, especially the ones that were made in West Germany and marketed through the Plesant Company. What are the critical factors to consider (i.e., color of cloth body, the presence of strings at the back neck area, etc.)? I am fortunate to have bought a beautiful Molly doll on eBay that was made in West Germany and still attached to the original box! I want to collect more older Pleasant Company AG dolls, but I need help in understanding how they are different from the Mattel dolls. Thanks so much for any help you can give!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member EmilyStrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The older dolls from the late 80s are Kirsten, Molly, and Samantha. They will have white cloth bodies. Felicity always had a flesh-colored body so you can tell if she is older if she has lighter colored red hair (she came out in 1991 but was made in the late 80's). Check out my website for more info (hope this helps)! http://www.geocities.com/emily_pieper/history.html

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ January 12, 2004 02:10 PM: Message edited by: EmilyStrange ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member German Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2002
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Cassandra!
    How great you got an older doll! Tell her "Guten Tag!" from
    Sandra in Germany [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OOH I am SO jealous! Here are some tips
    *the first boxes were burgandy with a cream ribbon that said Pleasant Company and had a heart shaped sticker with the product code

    *Old Molly has different illustrations in her book

    *Old Molly's hair is lighter than new Molly

    *Old Molly has an off-white muslin body

    *natural skin tone

    *hair cropped in back between braids. Kirsten's is attached by a large bobby pin type thing

    *hair is less silky

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is also a difference in the shape of the face. I am going to try next week to take side by side photos of mine (both new and old).

  6. #6
    Inactive Member horsemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2003
    Posts
    649
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes- I think there is a slight change to the face. I have a pre-mattel '91 Felicity and a post-mattel '99 Felicity. What I've noticed:

    * Old Felicity's hair is redder and lighter, and so is her eyebrows.

    * Old Felicity's skin tone is a bit darker and more apricot. New Felicity is whiter.

    * Old Felicity's hair is a bit more wild, although this could be from years of play as a kid! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    * Old Felicity's face is a different shape. It's hard to explain how, but it looks more like my old 1986 Kirsten than the new one. It seems less wide/full and less round to me.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Whenever anyone gets around to posting pictures of the old/new versions of dolls, could you please be sure to let us know? I really don't want to miss seeing those!

    Kirsten's is attached by a large bobby pin type thing
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is one difference that I'm not familiar with. What does it mean?

    Joy

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ January 13, 2004 08:36 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by djsnjones:
    Whenever anyone gets around to posting pictures of the old/new versions of dolls, could you please be sure to let us know? I really don't want to miss seeing those!

    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Kirsten's is attached by a large bobby pin type thing
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is one difference that I'm not familiar with. What does it mean?

    Joy

    <font color="#020176"><font size="1">[ January 13, 2004 08:36 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font></font>
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Joy, all of my dolls are old versions. I will try to take a picture of Kirsten's hair next time. In the middle of the cropped section on the back of her head is a large metal pin type thing that I guess holds the wig on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •